There are situations where couples are unable to achieve a pregnancy with the male partner’s own sperm. Therefore, the couples concerned are offered IVF treatment using a sperm donor (third-party donor) to establish a pregnancy in the female recipient.
1. In what situations could sperm donation be helpful?
Donated sperm could be used (depending on the legal situation) for the IVF treatment of couples faced with one of the following challenges:
- if the male partner does not produce any spermatozoa and surgical sperm retrieval techniques (TESE/TESA) have failed to provide the desired outcome (in some cases, due to unknown reasons, testicular function can be impaired to such an extent that, even after the surgical removal of testicular tissue, it is impossible to find any spermatozoa as a result of absent sperm production)
- after surgical removal of both testes
- after chemotherapy or radiotherapy in patients diagnosed with malignant diseases
- lesbian couples who wish to conceive a child
- single women who wish to conceive a child
All details on medical indication, legal framework, individual treatment steps and potential risks will be discussed during a personal conversation with the attending doctor at the IVF center.
2. Lesbian couples
In some European countries, the legislation regulating MAR allows women in same-sex relationships to have access to medically assisted reproduction techniques. This means that same-sex female couples who wish to have a baby can use in vitro fertilization with donor sperm, provided they are cohabiting or living in a registered partnership.
Depending on their medical situation, infertile couples have the opportunity to undergo an IVF treatment with donor sperm in Austria. This also applies to lesbian couples. Basically, certain requirements have to be met.
- ← Home
- Still not Pregnant...
- Contact and Preparation
- Initial Consultation
- Therapy Start and Treatment Procedure
- Success Rate
- Follicular Aspiration
- Sperm Collection
- Sperm Selection
- In Vitro Fertilization
- Blastocyst Culture
- Embryo Transfer
- Freezing Technology
- Pregnancy and Birth
- Egg Donation
- Sperm Donation
- Fertility Preservation
- Cryopreservation of Oocytes
- OUR CENTER
- OUR APPROACH
- OUR SERVICE
- Patient Login